Saturday, June 11, 2011

Retirement - the beginning of a new era

Yesterday was my last day of work after 35 years of employment at the Fair Lawn Library.  I've enjoyed the job of librarian more than I ever thought possible.  It suited me to a T and I was fortunate to be at the right time at the right place.  I entered the field at a time of card catalogs and self-suffient stand alone libraries and an almost totally book-based universe.  Now it's an electronic world and exciting for that with so much information available.  The economic climate was more positive then, and, I think, libraries (and public employees) were more valued.  I've worked with a lot of wonderful people and formed some good friendships.  And now it's time to move aside for someone else, take my pension, and do lots of traveling.  I didn't want a lot of fuss, but Usha gave me the cake and a lovely necklace, Alexander flowers, and a bag of little gifts from Kerri.  And we all felt a bit sad!

No comments: