Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Porvoo

If you checked my Picasa Photostream gadget you'll realize I'm back in Fillmore.  And it's a quiet, hot Tuesday afternoon.  I'm sitting with mother.  She's reading a flower identification manual and I'm trying to read my Finland Guidebook.  But while the reading is easy, the remembering is not.  I'm in a section about excursions from Helsinki and we're on our way to Porvoo about 31 miles from Helsinki.  It's the second oldest in Finland, established in the 14th century but known as a trading post before then.  It's know for its old town, with its lovely wooden houses and cathedral, but the surrounding islands and countryside have "much to offer."  And it has several quirky museums - an Outboard Museum, a recreation of a 1950's outboard motor repair shop, and a Toy Museum with toys dating from 1800 to 1990 as well as preserved steam railway running for 7 and a half miles into the countryside. 

So how to you say Porvoo....click over to Forvo to search and listen.  I've added Forvo to my list of links over there to your right. 

No comments: